It is absolutely essential during this campaign that President Obama demonstrates to the American People why he has not been able to turn around the American Economy as quickly as he and they would have liked. As the attention of the American People becomes increasingly focused on the campaign, he must keep on trying to pass “common sense” and popular legislation past Republican Obstructionism in Congress as a way of finally explaining why, if his economic proposals were so obvious, were they not already put into effect during the past three and a half years of his first term.
He should now;
- advocate to pass something that both parties claim that everyone very much agrees on-- the extension of the Bush Tax Cuts, but strictly for the middle class (and without the need of a hostage crisis). I must say, that was a brilliant start on Obama’s part.
- advocate to pass his 18th small business tax cut, which the Senate Republicans filibustered last Thursday.
- advocate to pass the rest of his provisions (six or more are left) in his American Jobs Act.
- advocate to repeal the tax supports for businesses to ship jobs overseas.
- advocate to repeal the tax supports for American oil companies.
- advocate to repeal the tax supports for corporate jets.
- advocate to clear the logjam on the appointments of multiple scores of committee-cleared nominations for vital Federal judgeships and other executive positions that have been almost completely blocked by the Republicans in the Senate during his entire term.
He should also try to enlist the American People to help him get all of this legislation passed. In this way, they would now be able to see for themselves and sympathize with what he has had to deal with all of this time. It would not only be most beneficial to the Economy, but it would also be the perfect form of campaigning, not only for his re-election, but also for an even more overwhelming re-takeover of the U.S. Congress and also of the nation’s State Legislatures by his fellow Democrats.
After that exercise, it should then be ultimately obvious to everyone, that divided Government, especially in present-day Tea Party America, can never possibly work!